Household items may seem like safe things. If they weren’t why would anyone make them? Well, the truth is they’re not, especially if you have pets around. Chemicals and materials can be extremely harmful and even lead to poisoning your cat, dog or any other animal you have in the house. Here are the most likely items you have that are a threat.

The Chocolate Drops And Pieces

Chocolate is extremely harmful to some animals, especiallydogs. You do not want to leave it lying around where your pets can get to it, whether they’re large chunks or small drops. If you decide to use or eat it, wrap up the packet and place it in a spot the animals cannot get to it.

The Sugar Substitute Xylitol


Xylitol is a sugar substitute used by some people. While it is fine for humans, it is toxic to some animals, dogs in particularly. Like chocolate, it needs to be kept well out of reach.

Grapes And Raisins

Who would have thought that fruit could be dangerous? Well, grapes and raisins are some of the most deadly items when it comes to pets.

They cause kidney failure in dogs, and other damage to other animals. If you’re going to eat them, make sure Fido doesn’t see them and steal a couple from your bowl.

Medicine—Any Type

Medicine is dangerous when given to the wrong people, so it should be clear that it is going to be dangerous to animals. The problem is animals react in different ways to humans when taking medicines, whether they are strong prescription things or over the counter Advil.

The only time you should let your pet anywhere near the medicine is when your vet recommends it, and you should follow the guidance from the professional.

Household Cleaning Materials


Bleach and other similar items are extremely dangerous to humans if consumed, so it makes sense that they are going to be harmful to animals. However, there are milder household cleaners that are extremely toxic to pets and you need to keep them out of reach.

Unlike children, animals could get their claws into the items and drink the fluids or eat the powder without opening the bottle. Keep them high up or invest in those child locks to stop your pet from getting into the cupboards.

Items Designed To Kill Pets

Mouse poisonrat bait and fly spray are all designed to kill, and are extremely toxic to pets. You need to keep them out of the way. If you need to put poison down for mice or rats, put it somewhere your pet isn’t going to get to it.

You could also think about laying it at night in a room your animal can’t get to. Some poisons are blood thinnersand if you catch it in good time your vet will be able to help. However, others are designed to kill quickly and quietly and you won’t know until it is too late.

About The Author

Founder of BeMozza

Related Posts