Nothing lasts forever… Not that 10 year relationship with your college sweetheart, not that 15 year old friendship you held so dear, not that picture you stored in a book in attempts to hold on to a memory for so long, and even not that HUGE jar of Nutella on the top shelf of the pantry. As we grow up we learn to realize that nothing stays the same and that change is as inevitable as rain in January. We love, we lose, we break, but then again, even that doesn’t last forever, as we heal, we gain, we grow, we learn, and we move on. If there’s anything breakups, divorces, death, or loss in general can teach you is that it’s always darkest before the dawn. Here are 6 lessons we learn from breakups:
1. If it’s meant to be, it’ll be: Sounds too religious right? Well it is true.. If your relationship was meant to be it would have gotten through the rough patches. Breakups teach us that if it’s meant to be, it will work out no matter the distance or number of fights. If it’s not meant to be, it will end. As simple as that.
2. You learn more about yourself: Only a breakup can teach you who you really are. You learn more about what you like, what you don’t, how you like to be treated, how you don’t, the type of person that attracts you, and what you most certainly hate. Is breaking up the only way to find out? Unfortunately yes, you never know unless you try right?
3. Be careful with your heart: Only when your heart breaks you learn the true value of that fragile little thing. With every relationship gone bad you learn to stand up for your heart. You protect whatever is left of it with everything you’ve got and that is the most valuable lesson of them all.
4. Nobody changes: As many times as you may have heard that, you don’t actually believe it until it happens to you! If someone does not WANT to change, they won’t. No matter how many fights, arguments, discussions, or even plain asking, they won’t change. If they don’t treat you right from day one, they won’t ever. Don’t expect them to change, either live with it, or walk!
5. You learn to be alone: breakups or separation teach you to be alone. Being in a “lonely” relationship teaches you to enjoy the company of your own self and when you’re finally broken up, you realize it’s healthy and okay to be alone. Being alone motivates you to reach for those life goals you’ve always wanted to pursue, it unravels the layers of disguise you wear every day, and teaches you how to be true to yourself.
6. Everything will be just fine: After every breakup and every blow to the heart, you learn that everything will be okay in the end. You learn that this was a lesson you needed to learn, you accept it, and hopefully you never repeat your mistakes again. After every fall you take, your feet become stronger to carry you up again. After every loss there is a gain.