Frozen squares of rice pudding dotted with cherry and chocolate make a great alternative dessert over Christmas.
300g/10½oz pudding rice
750ml/1¼ pint milk
50g/1¾oz golden caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
750ml/1¼ pint double cream
100g/3½oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped
300g/10½oz chopped cherries
- Add the rice, milk and sugar to a large pan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the pan along with the pod itself.
- Add 500ml/18fl oz water. Gradually bring to the boil, lower the heat and stir the rice to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until the rice reaches a rice pudding consistency. This will take about half an hour – keep checking the rice to ensure the milk doesn’t boil over or burn.
- Remove the pan from the heat and chill it in a sink of water. Leave to cool.
- Whip the cream in a large mixing bowl until it holds its shape on the whisk.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the rice pan and gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Fold the dark chocolate and cherries into the rice pudding.
- Pour the mixture into a tray lined with cling film that will fit into the freezer. Freeze for approximately four hours.
- Turn out of the tray, remove the cling film and slice to serve