Decorating my space for the holidays is one of my favorite yearly traditions. Nothing makes me feel happier in the wintertime than coming home to a house full of glittery garlands, herb-tied votives, and perfectly wrapped presents under the tree. And while store-bought décor works in a pinch, I really love crafting my own holiday decorations. My latest festive craft is this DIY ‘joy’ sign for my mantel. It’s adorable and quite simple to recreate or customize. You could even spell out your last name if you’re looking for a year-round décor idea. Check out my tips below for making your own letter mantel décor…
Here’s what you will need:
- cardboard letters (can be found at Paper Source or most craft stores)
- painter’s tape
- gold paint
- Use the painter’s tape to neatly cover each entire letter in horizontal strips of tape. This will ensure that the stripes are evenly spaced.
- Peel off every other strip of tape to create stripes.
- Paint your letters gold (or any color of your choice).
- Wait for the paint to dry completely, and then very carefully peel off the tape.
- Display your letters on a shelf, mantel, or wherever else you see fit. If necessary, use double-stick tape to make them stay put.
For added sparkle, apply a spray adhesive to your taped-off letters and cover them with glitter like I did on last year’s ‘Be Merry’ banner. Also, feel free to experiment with other patterns and festive color schemes. Make your mantel letters your own!