If you’ve ever had a Mexican wedding cookie, then you probably know how melt-in-your-mouth delicious they are. Similar to shortbread but with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground almonds mixed in, they are one of my very favorite baked treats. But what you may not know about these tasty morsels is that Mexican wedding cookies are almost as easy to make as simple chocolate chip cookies. So, to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and the start of wedding season,
Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar for coating
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup ground almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, ½ cup powdered sugar, salt, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground almonds to form your dough. Roll into 1-inch balls.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until golden on the bottom.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes only, and then toss in the remaining ¾ cup powdered sugar. You want the cookies to still be warm, or the sugar will not stick.
Voila! Simple to make, but so delicious. For a real treat, serve with a cup of Mexican hot cocoa or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.