With Cinco de Mayo right around the corner, I thought it was the perfect time to share my easy chicken enchilada recipe. This recipe is one of my go-tos. The enchiladas taste great every single time, and are a huge hit among my friends and family. (My bestie Hannah requests these every time I have her over!) I double this recipe every time I make it and freeze and half. When I am ready to enjoy them again, I simply defrost and follow the same baking instructions.
Without further ado, here’s how to make my easy chicken enchiladas:
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 jar of red salsa
- 1 jar of salsa verde
- 1 can of diced jalapeños (you can leave these out if you don’t like your food spicy)
- 1 pack of flour tortillas (10+ large, but not burrito sized)
- 1 pack of shredded, organic Monterey jack cheese
- 1 glass baking dish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Slice the chicken into large, bite-sized pieces. Put the chicken pieces and one jar of red salsa in a pot, filled with enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through).
- Drain the liquid and let the chicken cool. Then shred the chicken and set aside.
- Take out your tortillas and a glass baking dish. Spread about ½ cup of chicken on a tortilla, along with the jalapeños, and top with the desired amount of cheese.
5. Roll the tortilla and place into the glass baking dish. Continue until the dish is full.
6. Top the dish of rolled tortillas with a jar of salsa verde.
7. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the salsa.
8. Bake your dish of enchiladas in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
9. Serve and enjoy!
And there you have it. The perfect entrée for your Cinco de Mayo party, or any other night of the year. They’re even more delicious when served with homemade churros and dipping sauces for dessert.
One note: depending on how spicy you like your food, you can adjust which salsa you use, and how much you use of it. Lately I’ve been on a spicy food kick, so I use a pretty hot one and pour on a whole jar.